Saturday, October 27, 2012

Taking Action- Christina


     I, Christina Cipriani, took action in signing an online petition, to support women in their access to receiving free birth control, from the government. I did this through an online website and it felt great! As a women, it was especially rewarding to take action, and join the band wagon to support my fellow females for their rights as United State citizen. Anyone can talk, and state their beliefs, values and opinions, but to actually take a stand to take a step closer to an ultimate goal, felt so amazing! I really felt as though I took part in an act of social justice by doing so.
     In politics, many people create and sign petitions. It's a form of fighting for a specific right, in this case women's rights to birth control. This is a way to show the amount of people fighting for a desired cause and put the cause into perspective. I felt it was a great step, in the right direction, for the democratic controversy going on in the government.     I believe every person should take part in social justice. As an educator, I think it will be highly effective in my classroom. It's the little things that count, like signing a petition to support a good cause or political issue you start to become familiar with. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel as though to be a good citizen, which is crucial for students to get out of social studies, social justice should be included in the classroom. "Concerns about the common good and the rights of the individual, no matter how humble in social standards, transcends politics and holds a definitive place in the realms of morality, ethics and federal law, and therefore in the world of teaching social studies". I feel as though I am taking action as a citizen and it feels amazing. As an educator I can only hope my students, one day, can feel the same achievement!

No comments:

Post a Comment